Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Meet 'n Greet

So I've been a resident just shy of a month now. I hail from Fort Collins, Colorado (which I fondly dub FoCo), a small city about an hour north of Denver. I'm a native Coloradoan. I love the mountains, the blinding sun and the thin, dry air of my native state. I hope I grown to love my new city, too, humidity and all.

I also love food. Y'all don't know even know, but you will quickly learn by how much and often I talk about food, how much I love to eat. FoCo is known for being saturated with restaurants and good ones at that. I also come from a family who cooks well because we love to eat well. So, I know good food. One item high on my to-do list is to find the good eats here in Steel Town. I started taking notes right off the bat and am itching to share my first gourmand impressions. Stay tuned.

The sandwich that dominated me, courtesy of Primanti Bros
I'm here because of my husband. He just started his Ph.D. studies at Carnegie Mellon University. Honestly, at first, I wasn't so jazzed about moving to Pittsburgh. Earlier this year, when he told me that he got accepted to his first choice school, I had mixed feelings (poor guy, my initial response was not jumping-up-and-down elation)... The Pittsburgh in my mind was gray, dirty and sad since it's steel heyday was done and gone. Many people reassured me us that the 'Burgh has experienced a rebirth and rejuvenation over the last decade or so and that it is, in fact, quite beautiful and lively. That quelled my fears, I prepared for a cross-country move and so far, in the little we've seen, I can't say they were wrong.

Look at that handsome guy and that skyline! Love.


While my hubs hones his mad genius skills at CMU, I currently can be found lurking in coffee shops while I job hunt, blog and find countless other things to distract me via the interwebs. When I can't stand to be cooped up inside any longer, I'm out and about doing whatever my heart whims. Soon I hope to be taking class at the local dance studios. I'm the dancing and writing starving artist half of the duo, although my husband is a very talented artist himself. Maybe I'll talk him into featuring some of his drawings here on le blog sometime.

One last tidbit before I wrap up this little meet 'n greet. I have roots here in PA! My dad was born here shortly before my grandparents moved him and my aunts out west. Rumor has it that my great-grandmother was a teacher at Grove City College. So I have some distant relatives somewhere around here... I grew up not really knowing much about my dad's family history prior to their life in Colorado, so I'm kind of excited to look them up and see what I find.

There's more I could tell you, let's let the blog tell the story as I share my adventures.

Shout out to all Pittsburghers (and anyone who knows the 'Burgh): What's not to miss? Where should we eat? Where's a good date-night spot for a couple of on-a-budget newlyweds? Good shopping? Other insider tips? Throw it at me, I'm open!

Cheers and happy Tuesday!

6 comments:

  1. Just found your blog! I would recommend brunch at Meat & Potatoes in the Cultural District (make reservations). Take a Saturday morning a bike or bus (parking is horrible) to the Strip District (The Strip District's east and west boundaries are 11th and 33rd streets; the produce district runs from 16th to 22nd streets). ALSO, this Friday is the Gallery Crawl downtown - it's a must do for the locals. Free booze, great art and great pop-up food!

    Of course there is a ton more, if you have any questions let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the scoop, Melanie! Good to know and I will tell the husband where our next food visits will be. I'm part of a meetup group that is doing the Crawl this Friday, so that one's on the calendar. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of dance are you interested in? Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre in the Strip(3900 Liberty Avenue) has open ballet classes several times a week, all are welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Marjorie! Ballet is one kind and PBT is on my radar - as is August Wilson Dance and Kelly Strayhorn for modern classes, and there are West African classes at CMU that are of interest. I'm just biding my time for funds at this point, things are tight. In general I've been impressed with all the dance offerings here in Pitts, from what I've found on the interwebs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Il Picolo Forno in Lawrenceville, Pamela's for breakfast (multiple locations) and Union Grill on Craig Street in Oakland. Il Picolo Forno has amazing thin crust wood-fire oven pizza, along with beautiful pasta dishes and daily risotto specials. Union Grill is great if you are craving a burger and a beer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Duly noted, Chris, thank you. I'm already hungry for that pizza!

    ReplyDelete